A stethoscope is a sound detecting device that is widely used in medicine to listen to the sounds of the human or animal body. You might have seen doctors carrying a device on their shoulder, that’s stethoscope. A stethoscope is also known as a medical acoustic device.
It is usually used to listen to Beating heart or lung sounds. A stethoscope is also used for the determination of blood flow into arteries and veins. A stethoscope has tubing, two ear pieces and a chest pieces. It comes in different types for kids and adults.
It is quite easy to learn to use a stethoscope, even if you are not a medical person. Here are the tips to use a stethoscope:
- Choose the right type and a good quality stethoscope.
- Fit the earpieces properly in your ears. Your earpiece should not be too loose or too tight.
- Choice of chest piece should be very specific. Chest pieces come in different types for kids and adults. Choose your chest piece according to you requirements.
- Make sure you are sitting in a quiet place when using the stethoscope so that background sounds don’t distract you.
- You need to place the chest piece on the left upper part of the chest and apply slight pressure.
- Ask the patient to relax and listen to the sounds for a whole minute. Count the number of heartbeats in a minute. You will hear “lub-dub” sounds.